To ensure that the concern of the Holy See is expressed in the arena of Sport, an important part of contemporary culture, the Holy Father Saint John Paul II instituted in 2004 the “Church and Sport” Section within the Pontifical Council for the Laity, with the following aims:
1) to be a point of reference in the Church for national and international sports organizations;
2) to sensitize the local churches to the importance of the pastoral ministry of sports environments, while encouraging cooperation between Catholic sports associations;
3) to foster a sports culture, as a means of bringing about the holistic growth of the person at the service of peace and brotherhood between peoples;
4) to promote the study of specific issues relating to sport, particularly from the ethical point of view;
5) to organize and support initiatives that encourage the Christian witness by sportsmen and sportswomen.